1. We can't ___ one to change the habits of a lifetime in a short time.
2. The noise was so ____ that only those with excellent hearing were aware of it.
3. His landlady gave him a week's ___ to leave the flat.
4. Even if they are on sale, these refrigerators are equal in price to, if not more expensive than, ___ at the other store.
B. the others
D. the ones
5. When I took his temperature, it was two degrees above ___.
6. It is clear that the whole world is passing through a social revolution in which a central_____ must be taken by scientists and technologists.
7. These plastic flowers look so ___ that many people think they are real.
8. When I worked as the general manager of the firm, I sometimes had ___ to visit London on business.
9. The most important ___ of his speech was that we should all work whole-heartedly for the people.
10. It has always been the ___ of our firm to encourage workers to take part in social activities.
11. I remember her face but I cannot___ where I met her.
12. He has left his book here on___, so that you can read it.
13. The open university was started in order to help those who ___ having a university education when they were young. A. stopped
14. We won't know whether it will be successful. We won't know whether there will be good ___.
15. Comrade Li Dazhao,___ librarian of Beijing University, was one of the founders of the Chinese Communist Party.
C. some time
D. some times
16.The patients believe that the doctor knows exactly how to put them ___.
17. And you find that you're not to be ___ with a position of real responsibility.
18. She got married although her parents had not given her their ___.
19. At first Bob was puzzled by Virginia s waving, but then it __ his mind that she was trying to tell him something.
20. When college students ___ future employment, they often think of status, income, and prestige.
21.Alice ___her father that both she and her husband would be happy if he would live with them.
22. I caught a___ of the car before it disappeared around the bend.
23. The car salesman took the customer for a driver in the new model in order to ___ its improved features.
24. After dinner the minister made a short ___ to the guests.
25. The old man got into the ___ of storing money under the bed.
26. One-room schoolhouses can still be found in ___ areas where there are no other schools for many miles.
27. It's bad ____ for a man to smoke in the public places where smoking is not allowed.
28. Before the final examination, many students have shown ___ of tension. Some have trouble in sleeping while others have lost their appetite.
29. When you do exercises, your heart works better. It is able to____ more blood while beating more slowly.
30.—Yangyang carried off the first winter Olympic ___ medal for China.
—Great! What ____ she won for our motherland!
A. golden/ honor
B. gold/ honor
C. golden/ honors
D. gold/ honors
31. The problem is not ____ so easy as you think. It's far from being settled.
32.I'll____ him off this time but next time he'll be punished.
33. — Who on earth could it be?
— It was ____ other than Peter.
34. In the of proof , the police could not take action against the man .
35. He proved himself a true gentleman and the beauty of his ____ was seen at its best when he worked with others.
36. Nowadays sending e-mails to each other is a way many a student ____ what they think.
37. —How do you ____ to her unkindly behavior?
Which of the following is wrong?
38. Some friends tried to settle the quarrel between Mr. and Mrs. Brown without hurting the feeling of ___, but failed .
39. Does this car give you good ___for your money ?
40. —Where Chongqing do you decide to build the factory ?
—Nobody our manager knows.
A. except/ besides
B. but/ besides
C. but/ but
D. except/ besides
41. It seemed that Ivy was in no____ this evening to listen to my jokes.
42. Sensible people don't think it is___ to buy things which are not needed even at a low price.
43.When you arrive at the hotel, you'll____ notice the friendly staff, who will make your holiday a wonderful dream.
44.As they haven't a child of their own, they're going to ____ a little girl.
45. After careful research, it was decided that the spaceship should reenter the Earth's____.
46. David paused to consult his notes, then___ with his speech.
47.That way of living is___ to people in this small part of the country.
48. The headmaster is to give a formal___ at the annual ceremony.
49. He had a talent for music and was___ conductor of Shanghai Symphony Orchestra at the age of 30.
50. Psychologists say that___ our emotions will make us feel better and there is nothing to be ashamed of.
51. After many years' waiting, Chinese people____ realized their dream to hold the Olympic Games.
52. Such noble deeds of the doctors and nurses can't be only____ with money.
53. Shanghai is so full of____, it seems as if things never stop.
54. My knowledge of Hong Kong came only from some movies: a____ of criminals are pursued by the police in the narrow streets and then they have a fight.
55. When we finally arrived, a lady gave us a ____ introduction of the university.
56. A(n)____ is a person who understand people's characters.
57. If you build a house with good____ , it will last long.
58. Although I had read the book assigned by the professor several times, it didn't make any__ to me.
59. Burning all the lights in the classroom will be a great___ on electric power.
60. As civilization____, more and more people have realized the importance of preserving rare animals from extinction.