Unit1 Festivals around the world
1. Please make sure when and where the accident took place.
2. Some festival are held to honour the dead， or satisfy and please the ancestors， who could return either to help or to do harm.
3. In Japan the festival is called Obon，when people should go to clean the graves and light incense in memory of their ancestors.（非限制性定语从句）
4. They dress up and try to frighten people.
5. If they are not given anything， the children might play a trick.
6. In India there is a national festival on October 2 to honour Mahatma Gandhi， the leader who helped gain India's independence from Britain.
7. The most energetic and important festivals are the ones that look forward to the end of winter and to the coming of spring.
8. The country is covered with cherry tree flowers so that it looks as though it might be covered with pink snow.
9. He spoke as if/though he had been there before.
10. In European countries it is the custom to decorate churches and town halls with flowers and fruit， and people get together to have meals.（形式主语） 在欧洲国家，人们习惯用花果来装饰教堂和市政厅，而且他们会聚到一起会餐。
11. I apologised to her for stepping on her foot.
12. It was obvious to everyone that he was lying.
13. “I don’t want them to remind me of her.” So he did.
Unit2 Healthy eating
1. The food you eat helps you grow in different ways.
2. Standing on top of the tall building， we could see the whole city.
3. Which food contains more sugar？
4. What could have happened？
5. Something terrible must have happened if Maochang was not coming to eat with him as he always did.
6. Curiosity drove Wang Pengwei inside.
7. We were surprised at finding the house empty.
8. They had me repeat the message.
9. I have a lot of work to do.
10. He did not look forward to being in debt because his restaurant was no longer popular.
11. She did not look happy but glared at him as she moved round the customers.
12. I found your menu so limited that I stopped worrying and started advertising the benefits of my food.
13. Neither your restaurant nor mine offers a balanced diet.
Unit3 The million pound bank note
1. Have you ever made a bet with your friends？
2. Did he help you by accident or on purose？
3. I wonder， Mr Smith， if/whether you’d mind us moving your flowers outdoors.
4. You’re about to hear the most incredible tale.
5. Permit me to say a few words.
6. After the rain， we went ahead with our work.
7. And it was the ship that brought you to England.
8. I earned my passage by working as an unpaid hand， which accounted for my appearance.
9. Dick found himself walking in the direction of the church.
10. Even if/though he is very nice， I don’t trust him.
Unit4 Astronomy： the science of stars
1. We usually think of science subjects as physics， chemistry， biology and mathematics.
2. When are they to hand in their plan？
3. Whether we help him or not， he will fail.
4. It exploded loudly with fire and rock， which were in time to produce the water vapour， carbon dioxide， oxygen， nitrogen and other gases， which were to make the earth’s atmosphere.
5. It was quite different from what I expected.
6. This made it possible for us to learn English better.
7. Scientist believe that taking carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and filling the air with oxygen helped life to develop.
8. He has experience as well as knowledge.
9. They are putting too much carbon dioxide into the atmosphere ，which prevents heat from escaping from the earth into space.
10. Whether life will continute on the earth for millions of years will depend on whether this problem can be solved.
Unit5 Canada-the true north
1. Canada is the second largest country in the world.
2. Success is within our grasp now.
3. I’m feeling slightly better today.
4. I prefer to play football rather than stay at home.
5. He gave me money as well as advice.（as well as 和；同；也)
6. These books are mine； the rest are yours.
7. I asked her a question but she remained silent.（ remaine是连系动词，意思是“保持，仍然是”)
8. Many people think it is the most beautiful city in Canada， as it is surrounded by mountains on the north and east and the Pacific Ocean on the west.
9. Many of them have a gift for working with animals and they can win thousands of dollars in prizes.
10. You can have a view of Paris from the Eiffel Tower.
11. Around noon they arrived in Toronto， the most wealthy and biggest city in Canada.
12. I accompanied him as far as the bus stop.